Saturday, February 23, 2008

All Drama, No Excitement. . .

So, I start this post by saying I am still pregnant, and everything is GREAT. So no worries! Here's what all the hullabaloo has been about over the last 24 hours.
Yesterday I saw my doctor, and told her I thought the baby had been a bit quieter than normal for about 24 hours. They hooked me up to a non-stress test (NST) and then decided they were a little bit uncomfortable with her heart rate and sent me straight up to L&D. I stayed there for 2 or 3 hours, where it was decided that the baby was A-OK, and all things looked great! They are going to repeat this test on Sunday, just to be sure, but we were given the "go home and relax while you can" talk. So. . .
We took the kids and headed out to Safari Sams for the evening. They had filled a jar of marbles (for good behavior) and got to pick the prize, and this was the night! They were very excited! Safari Sams has the largest jungle gym in Oregon, and by large, I mean huge. The max. Capacity for in the gym is like 260 people. It's crazy fun! Also mini golf, chuck-e-cheese type games, pizza. . . a kids paradise!
We had been there about 10 minutes when I suddenly started feeling like my contractions were changing. While they have been strong enough to make my heart pound all month, they didn't hurt at all. All of a sudden, they were hurting! Not terrible, but my back was aching, and they were coming at least 3 or 4 times an hour. I could still talk and walk through them so no worries, we stayed and played. . . until. . .
Aidan fell from a steep ledge and somehow tweaked his elbow. Tears, the works, for about 25 minutes. We seriously considered taking him to an urgent care, but were also thinking he was tired and hungry so we would wait it out. But, this morning, he is still favoring that arm and is having trouble extending it. So, we are off to Urgent Care this morning to get that diagnosed. . . we'll leave shortly, and I'll keep you posted.
So, we put three very tired kids to bed at 8:00, and I layed down on the couch, and my contractions seemed to slow down a bit. At 9 I decided to hit the sack. I slept 10 minutes, contraction. 20 more, here's another one. After a couple of hours of this, and due to my history, we called the doc (the one on call) and he said to head into the hospital for an evaluation. So, at 11:00, we got the babysitter (Mandy) here and off we headed, not terribly hopeful that tonight was the night, but hey, one can hope. They hooked me up to the monitor and checked me (3 cm) and I contracted at about 10 min apart for a good hour and a half. But, they were not picking up in intensity. We were sent on a walk for an hour, and walked the dark halls of the quiet hospital for an hour, shared an ice cream cone, and at 2 came back for a re-check. Definitely still contracting and such but no change. So, they want to send us home. I resisted pretty hard because of how fast Chandler came, but in the end, doctors aren't willing to help you out a whole lot at 2:30 a.m. (it's a sad fact of having babies) and I was sent home with a sleeping pill, orders to rest, and when the intensity picks up, even if the pace doesn't, then we are to come back.
SO. . . no baby yet! But, we are feeling pretty sure that this one may not make it to her due date, there is just too much going on already. With Ethan and Chandler, when I started doing this, we had a baby within about 2 days. I just hope I don't have to do this all weekend until my doc is back in again Monday. That would be an exact repeat of Ethan. . . very exhausting. They gave me another sleeping pill to take tonight to help me sleep though the contractions with the assurance that if they got very intensive I would wake up (and I did when they got strong again this morning). So that's where we're at! Sort of in labor, and headed to urgent care for Aidan! Woo Hoo!!! Hopefully we'll have good elbow news and fabulous baby news to follow in the next couple of days! Here comes another contraction. . . signing off!

6 comments:

Bloom Where You Are Planted said...

VERY exciting news for you!!! SO sorry to hear about Aiden's elbow though. Keep us posted!!! :) Can't wait to hear great news!

Koch Clan said...

Wow keep us posted and can't wait to see pics of the new Wilde girl!

Liz said...

Wow, babies are always exciting aren't they? Hopefully she comes soon!

I hope Aiden's elbow is ok. Maybe he just dislocated it? Hailey has done this so many times, that I know how to fix it myself and can save ourselves a trip to the ER

jrteacherlady said...

Good luck with everything... It sounds like no rest in sight! I'm sending good thoughts your way:)

Becca said...

Very exciting - never a dull moment when a new baby is about to arrive - something always seems to go awry. Hope Aidan's elbow is okay.

Terry said...

Following our experience a few weeks ago, I'm an expert now at all nighters in hospitals. Call for tips if needed.