Mommies, I need some help! I am in a lunch time rut with my kids. We are apparently on the "
peanut butter plan" and I need some help. Does ANYONE have any lunch ideas that their kids are hip on? It's been getting so bad lately that it's pretty much
peanut butter every day. (Pathetic, I know!) Any ideas for lunch boxes and especially lunches at home would be appreciated! Thanks!
8 comments:
What a pain! How about grilled cheese (you can even add a little deli meat between the cheese), cheese quesadillas, or Mac and Cheese? Can you tell that Brittany likes cheese? Those are pretty much her lunches or leftover dinner if it's pasta. Good luck!!!!!
I'm in the same rut!! I feel a little twinge of guilt every time I hand over the PB&J, but they will BOTH eat it and eat well and that makes me feel better. I've recently pondered the versatility of tortillas(but haven't actually tried any of my ideas yet) . . . a little cream cheese, shredded carrots and cucumber sounds good or a slice of deli turkey and all of the above. How about PB&J in a tortilla? Does that count as different?? :) Good luck! I hate the lunch time rut!
I am the same way, my kids eat peanut butter and jelly a lot but they love it. I also add fruits and veges to the plate. But also I have used the frozen chicken nuggets from costco. I also have the taquitos. Probably not the healthiest but they like them. Also, turkey sandwich and I sometimes cut them with cookie cutters and they seem to like them better if they are in shapes. Good luck!
Tony loves cheese and crackers (wheat Thins or Triscuits) with salame, turkey or ham rolled up- especially when I put toothpicks in the meat rolls, thinks it special, oh, and mustard to dip it in. Bean & cheese burritos are a big hit too- heat up a can of beans, throw in some cheese, roll it up in a tortilla. Most of the time we're PB&J though. Gotta go with what works. At least its not fast food- fries and sodas...We switched to smucker's low sugar jams (no artifical sweeteners, and reduced amount of real sugar) if you are worried about too much sugar.
You could try bagel or english muffin pizzas (toast it, spread sauce and cheese, broil until the cheese is melted) Egg salad? Tony likes to peel the eggs & mix in the mayo and mustard and pickle relish himself. Good Luck!
PLEASE oh PLEASE change it up! I can't remember a single brown bag lunch from elementary & high school that didn't involve PB on Oroweat and sliced apple. EVERY DAY.
Check the archives here. Basically in 05 & 06, this lady did a daily documentation of her rockin' vegan lunch boxes for her kid, complete with photos & ratings by the kid. Really, really great blog.
It's super easy to substitute non-vegan for vegan (since many items are gonna be vegan substitutes for meat...). And it's never too early to get healthy tofu in the mix!
http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/
Emma eats toasted cheese (the quick version of grilled cheese) sandwiches most days, but the other kids like to eat left-overs, top ramen, mac & cheese, or any types of sandwiches. I'm not too creative but there are some good suggestions and recipes for lunches on Family Fun's website.
http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/family/expert/dony0201lynn_school/dony0201lynn_school.html
Good luck!
Grandpa suggests (as he always does), scrap that creamy PB you always buy and go for the extra-crunchy stuff that men eat. Also, there's always the old Price family standby - the burrito dog ! ! !
Post a Comment