Thursday, April 9, 2009

the Backyardigans

When our empty field behind our house started being developed, we were disappointed. Our private backyard was about to be a little less private. After 6 years with nobody looking in our windows, we were bummed. When we found out the people moving in were going to be in our ward, I definitely had mixed feelings. Our master bedroom looks straight into their master and their living room, and visa versa. Surely we would be friends. Would it be awkward though? "Goodnight neighbors! Sleep well!"

Well, it's not been awkward at all. They are the nicest family, and they have four soon to be 5 very nice little children for our guys to play with. When the weather warmed up and the kids started playing outside, our fence became a climbing wall. Ethan was scaling it and sitting on top and then the girls were sitting on top and we decided we should help them out. Gordon built "rock climbing holds" on both sides of the fence so they could easily go back and forth. It's been so fun to look out the back window and see the girls hovering over the fence asking if the boys can come out to play, and I'm hoping they think the same.

Here are the boys coming home yesterday. . .

So fun! The "golden girls" as my boys call them (the Gold family) are our favorite new playmates! I hope the fun friendship lasts all summer.

6 comments:

Terry said...

Had the same setup in my backyard 55 years ago. Worked great.
Goodnight, John Boy.

Becca said...

How fun! Who wouldn't want a fun way to visit their friends?! What great memories they will have of that.

Keren said...

This is great, but I thought it was going to be a "good time to whistle." I'll admit a little disappointment.

Nicole said...

Wow i can't believe they finally built back there. I guess I wouldn't recognize the place! Where did Gordon get those cool hand holds???

Michelle said...

I LOVE when friends live so close you don't have to drive for your kids to play. I'm sure it will help make for a very fun summer!

Jennifer M said...

How fun to have little ones the same age for neighbors! All our kids around here are several years older and want nothing to do with "babies"! Enjoy the fun!!