Monday, April 27, 2009

Creativity

I've done a lot of fun things lately that let out a bit of creativity. I've been meaning to make a log. So here goes!
First of all, I did this to my bathroom this past weekend. . . I love yellow! More to come on bathroom updates soon.
I made this cake for a baby shower, which I loved! M&M's are the best for decorating cakes, I have discovered. Simple and cute.
I made these two cute quilts for my friend Michelle who is having boy/girl twins in just a month or so! So excited for her. We've pretty much kept up with each other and babies since college. Our firstborns were only 2 days apart. She suddenly has quite the lead! (take it and run with it honey!) You can see more pictures here.

And this was just a bit of creative parenting, but there was a night that Aidan would NOT eat his soup, and I told him that if he didn't eat it by 6:00 I would dump it on his head. And I did. Then to make it extra torturous I hosed him off with cold water, because you can't go traipsing through the house with split pea soup in your hair. I can't be certain, but I think his manners at the table did improve after the "split pea incident." I hope so anyway. . .
I love being creative, even if it's just a cake or an invitation or a bowl of soup on my childs head. (kidding there) It soothes my soul to make, improve. For a little inspiration about creativity, try this from one of my favorite speakers. It's short. I love it.

8 comments:

Becca said...

Love the bathroom color - it's bright but soothing. Love the cute cake and LOVE the quilts!!

So funny about the soup on the head - one of our bishopric counselors told a story where his mom did that to him when he was young, but it was fish soup that he refused to eat. He told the kids he learned to honor his parents after that! I'm sure the neighbors thought that was a funny sight!

Rachel said...

Rachel, you put me to shame. I'm always in aw with your cakes. I can do things like that, but only after seeing someone else do it first. Nice color in the bathroom also.

Jennifer M said...

I love the quilts! Are they machine appliqued or hand??

Yellow is such a happy color!!

I love the soup over the head...hope it worked!!

Michelle said...

The yellow is a good yellow - you did a great job painting! And way cute cake!

I am impressed that you actually dumped the soup on his head. Ed always reminds me that I have to be able to follow through with my threats - so I try to be careful what I threaten them with. I think my boys would think it was funny if I dumped soup on their heads, so that might not work for us - but maybe I should try it. What a great story!

Terry said...

Hm, soup on the head. Is that the modern parental equivalent of mashed potatoes up the nose?
At last I'm free of all my past guilt ! ! !
With love,
Terry the Torturer
PS - Michelle, with your crew, I would suggest ketchup in the ears.

Jen said...

I am ROFL! You are awesome! Soup on the head...I never would have thought of that one.

It's also funny...I just painted the girls' bathroom yellow, too. I love yellow, especially here.

When you have a little free time, come my way. I could use some of your inspiration!

mahina said...

ha! soup on the head! now that IS creative!

Keren said...

Ugh. I need to finish my blanket. I told you when we started this project not to shame me. And look, you finished two before I even have mine half done.

Plus, I'm really sad I missed the soup episode.