Saturday, October 25, 2008

Ode to Laura

When Gordon told me he had the opportunity to go to China on business for a week, but that it was very much "not necessary" I really didn't hesitate too much to say that he had to go. What a wonderful opportunity! He was thrilled when it got approved. I was so happy for him, but so overwhelmed at the thought of a week on my own with my four little darlings.
On a whim I said, "I'd have no regrets if I had a buddy. Maybe Laura (Wife of Gordon's brother Joseph) could come!" He was on the phone so fast, and we bought her a ticket later that day, I think! I was so excited!
Laura was SO much fun to have here! The children adore her, and she is the best help I have ever had. I didn't even have to think it, and she was on it. Humm, what are those crumbs under my feet? The next thing I knew she was sweeping the floor. What's that smell? She's hauling Chandler up the stairs for a change. She was right on top of anything that needed to be done, and extra, and I am so appreciative of her willing heart and ability to go the extra mile all the time. She changed many a diaper, kissed many a boo boo, and hugged many a boy goodnight with an "I love you!"
Laura, we had such fun with you! I hope you are not worn too weary from my boisterous crowd. I am so glad you were able to come, so appreciative of your help, and so happy to call you sister. You are a wonderful friend and I can't wait to see you again at Christmas time!

2 comments:

Liz said...

How nice for you to have such a great helper while Gordon was gone. Did Gordon enjoy his trip?

Ben has been working on an energy project in China, and was really hoping he'd be able to go out there. But alas, they said no. Now there is only a slight chance that he will get a chance to go as he just got a promotion which moved him into another group. He is sure bummed. A trip to China is definitely not something to pass up.

The VanderHoevens said...

Does she want to come live with me all the time - I could use her? - Valerie