Monday, May 19, 2008

Gun Control

So what's your stance on gun control? I'm not talking about politics here, I'm talking about toy guns. Gordon and I have always taken a hard stance on "no playing guns" in our house. We want them to understand that guns are NOT toys and are a very serious thing. We want them to understand and respect the power and danger of a real gun. So, whenever we have caught them playing "shooting" games, we usually stop them, talk about it, and come up with an alternative. But, boys will be boys, and it happens occasionally. Especially because ALL their friends have toy guns. We have none. Aidan even got some water guns for his birthday that promptly went into the "round file." (they looked like real guns and were being played with as such) We have had water "shooters" in the past that look more like space rockets and I'm totally okay with that. That's for a water fight, right?

So I was totally excited the other day when I found these water cannons at Fred Meyer and brought two home. They shoot the water almost 30 feet and look NOTHING like a gun! Hurray! They were a huge hit!

The boys were playing in the backyard with these and having a marvelous water fight when the two neighbor boys suddenly appeared over their fence with their water guns (that happened to look like machine guns) and opened fire on our boys. It was so fun. An all out assault! Being the enthusiastic mother that I am, I heard myself yell, "Quick boys! Grab your guns! Shoot them! Shoot them back!" Did I just say that? I quickly corrected myself with a slightly less enthusiastic "Squirt them! Squirt them!" URG. Why is it so hard?

So what's your stance on "gun control?"

7 comments:

Liz said...

I'm laughing at your response at the end. Too funny. As yet we have not had any gun issues since Jared is only 2. However I am sure at some point we will. I think I'd tend to agree with you though.

Adrienne said...

This such a hard thing. Yes, my 3 year old is crazy for guns. We don't encourage it and don't let him watch cartoons with guns. However, it seems like he is naturally drawn to them. Joe says it is the hick side of him coming through. That comes from my side of the family of course. I think it is fine as long as you can turn it into something positive. Gavin has some Target $1.00 department water guns and some nerf guns. I think as long as they are visibly toy looking they are ok.

Laura P Thomas said...

I am completely with you. We had that policy at the CEC and I decided then that I wanted to use it with my kids. Of course it's easy to say that when all I have is a 1 year old. You're doing great B, keep it up!!!

The VanderHoevens said...

Having older kids - UGH! did I just say that - there are some things that are almost out of your control. Boys will be boys. We do have some rules - we don't play first person shooting video games - we don't aim toy guns AT people. But get into a good old fashioned squirt gun or nerf gun fight and you might change your mind. It is a good thing to be able to talk to them about the difference between real and pretend.

Koch Clan said...

We were the same way with Gabe for a long time about guns. I could totally get into a political discussion here. I hate guns! But boys will be boys. Gabe has a few water guns he enjoys very much. We try to tell him not to shoot Sibley but what can you do.

Michelle said...

I tried at first to not have ANY guns either, including water guns. I am still good about not having toy guns but we do have water guns and some nerf guns. But we do have very strict rules about not shooting people. Like everyone else has said - boys will be boys and they love to play guns - actually, mine like to play "battle" (whatever that is but it doesn't involve guns, just attacking each other). Your water cannons look awesome! Is it easy for your boys to fill them up themselves?

jrteacherlady said...

What a tough topic:) I agree with everyone, differentiate between real and pretend, limit guns to squirt non-GUN looking as possible. It is great to start young teaching them what is ok and what isn't. Yuck, the things we have to think about as parents...
I LOVE your comments at the end too:)