Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The Inside Story

This past Monday I got to do something very fun! It involved a solo plane flight down to LA, staying with my folks, by myself I might add, and a super high tech ultrasound. My parents have a close family friend who is one of the pioneers in ultrasound technology. He has an amazingly high detection rate for catching spinal and heart defects, as well as downs syndrome. My parents suggested I should come down and have one of his fancy ultrasounds, and I scoffed a little bit, until they bought me the plane ticket and I realized it would involve two days "off!"

So, on Monday morning I flew down to LA and my mom picked me up at the airport. We visited my grandparents, went out for ice cream, and then went to see Dr. Devore. He did our "genetic ultrasound," and gave my parents a sneak peek at their first granddaughter. It was great fun. He does the 3-D looking ultrasounds, which were a bit scary to look at, as she's still so tiny and skinny, but it was fun to see her sleeping away peacefully in there, with her little arm curled up by her head. Here's a little snippet of the video they sent me home with. The first part is of her heart beating (in color) and then the 3-D part. I love how she waves "see ya later!" at the end. . .



After the ultrasound we headed out to PF Chang's for this baby's favorite meal, Chinese food, and then off to bed. The next morning, my mom and I spent some time perusing around the Glendale Galleria, and then it was off to the airport for me, and home again, home again! It was so fun to have some "alone" time with my parents (and myself) and see the baby again. Thanks guys, for the ticket! And thanks Bro. Devore for the awesome pics of my little girl!

6 comments:

Becca said...

What a fun quick trip! I'd never seen the 3-D ultrasound - that's amazing they can do that!

mahina said...

i'm so glad that it was a good trip! how could it not be when you have no children in tow and you get to see your first daughter!

she didn't look alien like aidan did in that photo you showed us the other day!

jrteacherlady said...

Very cool!!! So how weird was that to be at your parents and not have your little ones along??? I'm so happy that everything went well for you:)

Jennifer M said...

Sounds like you had a great get away! Love the pictures- are you very convinced now its a girl?? Lucky you!!

Liz said...

That is really cool! I've seen pictures of these and it is amazing. Sounds like it was a fun trip!

Koch Clan said...

So neat that you got to get away for a couple of days and see your parents. What a cool ultrasound. I have always wanted a 3-D one. Maybe if we have another kid we will have to do it. I love the wave too. So cute.