Friday, February 26, 2010

Just one of those weeks. . .(9 days)

It's been one of those weeks. 9 days actually, but whose counting (me!)? The kind of week where I haven't left the house except to get groceries and see doctors. Have I mentioned it's been 9 days? The kind of week where you open a brand new jumbo bottle of Ibuprofen and it's now gone. Here is yesterday's fever reducer tracking system. I had to keep a chart to keep it all straight!
It all started with Aidan getting sick, and now it's everybody else, minus Ethan whose immune system must have seen this one before. There have been a few fun moments, like when the kids became the Wilde National Bobsled team:
TURN HARD!!!
And entertaining moments, like discovering that Aidan sleepwalks when he is really sick. (in hindsight this answers a few questions about when he was SO sick a couple of years ago) We are REALLY hoping that this little development goes away once he's all better, because let me tell you. . . I actually took a video of him last night, but it is so crazy I can't post it. Let me just say that I'm glad he's not 16, as I'm sure something or someone would have been broken a few times by now.

Here is my pathetic daughter. . .
So today when we got up and it became painfully obvious that we were in for another day at home and TV ALL DAY, I decided to tackle something. Something big. Something that's scared me off for the last two months.

You see, I got a serger for Christmas. (a serger!!!) I have been so excited, and I pulled it out of the box and everything, but then it just sat on my desk for the past 6 weeks. I've picked it up a few times, and then put it right back down. It's so scary! There are four threads! They wind all around! AH! So intimidating.

But today, I decided to be brave. I decided to take my sisters advice, who told me not to be scared of it! I assured her I wouldn't of course, but I admit, I have been a chicken. She said, "don't let it scare you. Just thread it!" So, I looked the serger in the (needle) eyes, and told her to sit still and cooperate because we were going to get this done, all the while repeating Ellen's advice, "don't be scared, don't be scared, don't be scared."

And guess what! She did!
And I had so much fun doing little test seams, I decided to try it out on something real. Look at this seam!!! Oh, the joy!
I whipped up this little pair of bloomers, to go along with this cute little shirt I bought for someone small and sweet a few weeks ago. I think I'll smile all day. . .
So, I guess I can say the week ended on a high note, don't you?

8 comments:

Terry said...

Can this thing wax your skis, too?

Cooper Family said...

Love the bobsledding pics.

Michelle said...

I see your kids love the Olympics like my kids! And we have a similar chart to keep track of medicine - I just can't keep it straight otherwise. Hope everyone gets better soon and have fun with your fun new toy!

Unknown said...

Yay! I knew you'd rock it. Just keep using it & you'll travel down the learning curve. The baby is getting big!

Ann said...

Now I know who to question about sergers. You actually sewed a project the first day you threaded the machine! I expect soon you'll be the go to person to satisfy all my curiousity.

Laura said...

So sorry everyone's been sick! Those weeks are the worst. Hey, send me an email at laura_wilde@hotmail.com and I'll reinvite you to my blog. I can't seem to find your email...

Annee said...

I have the same serger! I've had mine just over a year. They are so intimidating in the beginning. And while I have so much still to learn, the satisfaction from those "professional" seams, makes it all worth it!

Hope everyone gets well soon. I can't believe Emilee is 2. But I was also thinking, while looking at her photos, how lucky you are to have her.

Christina said...

Congratulations to you! Glad you did something to make you feel great even when everyone has been sick. I pop over here once in a while to see how your family is. You all look great. Love, Christina (Webecke) Smith