This past weekend we made our favorite Salsa, a recipe we learned during our time in NY. The kids helped me pick a whole bushel of tomatoes on Saturday, then pick up the remaining produce, and by Saturday night we were grinding and processing away. . .
The peppers and chilies were pretty hot this year, and I even found it necessary to put on a mask while grinding them, or else they sent me into choking fits!
Aidan ground the onions and green bell peppers for me and found a different way of coping. He was such a great helper!1 Bushel (aprox. 50 lbs) Tomatoes (I like roma)
10 green bell pepeprs
8 Jalapenos
12 yellow chilies
10 red chilies
2 habenero peppers
10 stalks of celery
12 cloves of garlic
1 cup UNiodized salt
2 cups Sugar
2 cups white vinegar
Grind it all up, and simmer it until it's the desired consistency. This can take from 2 to 6 hours. Then, process it into bottles! Yum yum! This much fills a 22 quart pot, plus I had to simmer some of the tomatoes down in my 10 quart until it was reduced enough that I could combine them. Hope you try it!
4 comments:
Mmmm mmmm. So glad you did this!
Glad to see you salsa-ing! The weather here has been so wacky that I haven't been able to find enough tomatoes to do a batch yet. I'm praying that I even get to do half a batch. Last year I did a full bushel and we're down to the last 5 jars. I'm going to have salsa trauma here if I don't find me some tomatoes! Way to salsa!
Sounds good. I am not a pepper fan, so I don't know if I could do that even with the mask! :)
That is a LOT of salsa! How do you store it? I love the goggles!
Post a Comment