This morning the kids headed off to 1st and 3rd grade, and I surprised myself by waxing a bit sentimental this morning. I love the first day of school, but it also means another year older, and the last day of summer, and we really had a great one! Here are the kids in their back to school duds. . .


When I got back from the school, it was time to dress Emilee, and I decided she could wear some back to school clothes too. They helped to keep me cheery today. . .
.JPG)
I spent the morning reading stories to the little ones and playing little people farm together. It was so fun and felt a little strange. The house was so quiet, and at the same time, it was so good to get down and play with my little people, uninterrupted. Between story time and farming, we baked the traditional back to school cake. And just because I've always wanted to try it, I covered it in fondant, which was a fun experiment!

It looks like maybe all that "amazing wedding cakes" and "cake off" watching has paid off, at least a little bit. . . I used marshmallow fondant which was very easy to make, and tastes pretty good as well. . . I'm hoping to roll it a little thinner next time. One of those "practice makes perfect" things I imagine.

After a quick trip to target and trader
joe's, where I remembered how EASY it is to run errands with only two children in tow (seriously, it is a whole different animal!), we came home to meet the bus and the boys jumping off.

I think Aidan is doing his very best to look unhappy here, but he was very cheerful, really.

Welcome back to school boys! I can't believe how big you're getting! And I can't wait to devour that cake tonight!
8 comments:
Rachel, you are homemaker of the year! The cake is adorable! Someday I want to be a cute mom like you :)
Bunnyface,
Congrats on officially making it through your tuff year :) I agree, gorgeous cake! I keep meaning to ask where you got your cake stand. I love how you use a different ribbon for each cake.
Jeremy will tell you that the fondant was more than pretty good. He loved it! And, par for course, it was the only part Carolyn ate.
Beautiful cake! I may have to get your marshmallow fondant recipe to try. I always love the clean look of fondant on a cake!
Holy cow, that was your first try at that cake?! It looks awesome!
I love the cake! I want the fondant recipe. I have always wanted to use fondant but never have because of the taste - so I would love to try a good tasting fondant.
Glad the boys (and you) had a good first day back!
Useful idea
In my opinion you commit an error. I can prove it. Write to me in PM, we will communicate.
Post a Comment