I can't imagine what may have run through Gordon's mind when he got home this afternoon. The kids and I were gone, the boys had dentist appointments. The house looked like a tornado had blown through, and maybe thrown up all over the house. The table was completely covered with mail, Ethan's homework, maybe even some breakfast dishes. . . moving onto the family room, he found one of Emilee's blankets, covered in - well - presents from Emilee and just sitting there with a dirty diaper and wet and poopy clothes on top. The floor is also strewn with children's shoes, board game pieces, my lipstick, the baby Bjorn, and a million other out of place things. He heads upstairs. . .
The beds are unmade, the vacuum is sitting squarely in the middle of my bedroom. Not because I used it, but because Chandler pushed it into there. The counters are covered in water spilled by Chandler. He heads to the bonus room. Another giant mess, pillows and blankets everywhere, and the storage closet where the vacuum goes is open. What's that in there? Oh, broken glass from a picture frame. Just sitting there on the floor with board game pieces strewn between. . . Humm. . .
What would go through your mind? Obviously it was a busy day. I had been thinking he'd be cursing me! There was just not enough time today to do, well, ANYTHING!!! (Emilee was a bit clingy today) I was expecting a bit of an exasperated husband when I got home.
Upon Rachel arriving home, she found. . . a cheerful husband just sweeping up the last of the scum off the floor, and washing Chandler's nasty booster chair. The floor was clear, the broken glass cleaned up, the beds made, and the toys picked up. Wow! He's been busy! I grabbed some pasta and started asking the boys which kind they wanted tonight with the leftover spaghetti sauce. Bow ties or spirals? No no, Gordon says, let's order Pizza! No, I say, it's okay, I can manage. But he's insistent. We order pizza and I am set down in the big la-z-boy to feed Em. The pizza arrives and Gordon puts it in the oven. Let's just let it sit for a minute while the kids play outside, okay? Sounds good to me!
At 5:30, he sets the table and the kids come in to eat, AND, my friend Emily Walker shows up with her three kids. What is this? My sweet and observant husband has looked around, and decided I deserved a night off. So, he cleaned the whole house, AND, arranged for a play date for me! He takes all 6 kids, feeds them pizza, and shuffles Emily and Emilee and I out the door to go out for dinner and girl talk.
Where did I get this guy??? I must say, Gordon definitely racked up some cool points tonight. I haven't felt so pampered and loved in quite a while. . .
Thanks hunny. . . I love you so much! Hopefully tomorrow I'll have a bit more time on my hands, and even if I don't, I think it will be easier to get more done anyway, as I'm feeling like I had such a wonderful break tonight. You're the best!
13 comments:
What a husband. So cute. Love that he actually went the extra mile and arranged for you to get out of the house with just the baby. Way to go. That is much needed after a baby.
Good thing I made you stay at my house to look at my quilt, so that Gordon had a few extra minutes to finish his work! So glad you were able to relax.
Ohhh- that is too sweet! Glad to see you are so well taken care of Rach!!
What a catch you got!! Glad to hear that other people have crazy days like me...and I only have 2 little ones!
Other husbands are not going to like you posting stuff like this! WOW - that is very impressive!
What a good guy! I'm glad you got to escape - kids are great but you really do need breaks from them every once in a while (or more) to help keep you sane (at least I do).
What a great guy! I always knew he was a good guy, but cleaning the house is usually as far as they go...arranging the date is over the top! It's been a while since I've been on your blog. Congrats on the adorable baby! She is WAY cute! It is so fun to have some pink around the house. Have fun with those sleepless nights! Don't worry, they don't last forever!
Ahh! I'm sure that was wonderful! You need that recharge once in awhile, and it's even more fun when it's a surprise!
Gordon
Please stop this stuff. You don't know how bad this makes me look in the eyes of your mother-in-law.
With love,
Your father-in-law
Rachel - I loved this post. I completely related to the chaos of having a newborn and other small children at home. I laughed and felt for you. I am looking at all the things that I could be doing right now as I sit here blogging. What a great hubbie to realize what you needed!! Bonus points for Gordon!
Wow! This reminds me of that one story about the husband that comes home to a house similar to what you described, finds his wife upstairs in bed or something, and says "what happened here today" and she says "I didn't do anything today".
But, having 4 kids, one a newborn, and just how crazy life can be, it is completely understandable that your house might look like that. How wonderful of Gordon to take over and send you off for some R&R! What a great Guy!
Amazing! Gordon surly wins "Husband of the Year" award and maybe even "Husband of the Century". Talk about the best expression of love I have ever seen! I am extremely impressed. :-)
yep! i think gordon wins husband of the year, hands down!!
way to pick 'em!
Post a Comment