Friday, September 14, 2007

Out of the woods. . .? I hope!

It has been a rough 40 hours around here. That's about how long ago Aidan started with a "tummy ache." I think I wrote about how well he slept that night. Well, the next morning, things seemed to be getting a bit worse, and his tummy hurt so bad, but with no fever, or nausea or vomiting, or poo poo problems, so the doctor became concerned and had me come in.

So, in we went, where Dr. Nason examined him, and decided to do a urine test. There was some microscopic blood in his urine, and because he wasn't having any other symptoms, he sent us over to the hospital for an X-ray of his tummy, and an ultrasound of his kidney's to rule out kidney stones. (the kid was in pain!) The kidney stones were a negative (thank heavens!) and the docs decided that he was probably just extremely plugged up for some reason, and that we should try an enema (poor kid!) and see how things went. Hopefully that would relieve the pain. But he said we could wait a while to see if maybe it passed on it's own, so we thought that was the best option. But, at midnight, after not sleeping ONE bit, I was off all the way across town for the enema. We decided we'd better give it a try so we'd tried everything. He was writhing in pain. He would sleep maybe 20 minutes at a time, grind his teeth, and wake up just delirious with pain. Gordon and I decided he slept about a total of 1 1/2 hours last night. (as did we).

At 6, we called our doctor's office and were directed to the "on call" people who are the emergency nurses at the children's hospital here. After describing the tests already done and everything he'd gone through in the night, she thought we'd probably need to come to the ER, but decided to check with our doc first. He said to hold off, come in to the clinic right at 8, and then we'd decide from there. So, we trekked off to the clinic right when it opened, and the first nurse practitioner that examined him was of the same opinion. Right to the ER. There might be a twisted bowel, or something serious like that. She suggested we get one more opinion from one of the other docs there at the office before she sent us off, which we decided was a good idea. And then came our little miracle. . .

Between when she walked out the door and when the doctor walked in about 5 minutes later, he totally turned the corner and the stomach pains stopped. Just stopped! The doctor's exam was completely different, and we decided we would observe him for a few hours before being sent off to the ER for a barrage of blood work and imaging and such. I am so grateful that he turned the corner right then or we would probably be in the ER right now, poking him with needles and such. He's suddenly so much better. The cramping stopped, he's asking for a little bit of soup and drink, and he SLEPT, 2 hours straight. I feel like my thousand prayers I had said in the middle of the night were answered right then and his body was able to relax that tummy right in time.

We're still of course watching him very closely, but he's a different boy than he was for the last 40 hours. He talks now and then, whines instead of screams, it's a relief! Okay, that was a novel. I just needed to vent!!!

5 comments:

Becca said...

Wow! Poor guy! I hope there isn't a relapse of whatever was wrong - that sounds horrible and a nightmare as parents not being able to do anything to help!

jrteacherlady said...

What a trooper he (and your whole family) was to go through all that. How frustrating to not know what caused it, but thank goodness all seems well now... Give him a hug from me!

Chelsea Parsons said...

holy cow! That's horrible. There is nothing worse than seeing your kids in pain. So glad things got better for him....

Liz said...

Oh Rachel! So sad! I am so glad that the pain seems to have stopped. I've heard those twisted bowel things are not to be messed with, so I am really glad to hear he is not in that category. I hope he feels completely better soon. Get some rest!

Koch Clan said...

I am so glad he is better. What a horrible thing. I am sure you are feeling better too. I think it is so hard on us parents when our kids are hurt because we feel so helpless. Thank goodness for prayers and the priesthood.