Wednesday, July 16, 2008

a new skill

I have spent the last few weeks working on a new dress for Emilee. It's way huge, and I'm thinking Easter 2010 is probably when it will make its debut, but I wanted to work on something that wasn't too tiny for my first try.

It is hand smocked and I am so excited that I finally have an excuse to learn this skill I have been wanting to try for so long. You can't smock for boys, it's totally sissy. But you can totally smock for girls! Smocking in case you have no idea what I'm talking about are all those teeny tiny pleats across the front. Then you embroider across the top and the embroidery creates the design and holds it together.

This pattern was lots of fun with smocking on the sleeves as well. I had such a great time doing it, I'm predicting many a smocked dress for my little peanut. Maybe even one that will fit her next time! :) Here are some photos.

Here it is modeled on a live person. (Come on people, I had to see it on a real body and not a hanger!!! It looks totally different!) And he, uh, I mean, "they" were a very cooperative model, who thought putting on a dress was a completely hilarious experience. He, I mean "they" ran around laughing hysterically and squealing "I a girl!" in a funny high voice. It was a crack up. I could hardly get it off of him. I mean them.
Ta Da!

14 comments:

mahina said...

wow! all i can say is you are amazing and much more patient than i am when it comes to sewing!

Kat said...

Wow Rachel. You are super talented. I LOVE little girls in smocked dresses. Way to go.

Keren said...

I'd like an uncensored photo, please.

Dina said...

All I can say is, WOW! You are an amazing seamstress! I'm sure she'll fit into it by spring. It's okay if it brushes the floor.....

Adrienne said...

So adorable. A woman of many talents.

The VanderHoevens said...

That is so cute! Makes me almost want one more so I can try for a girl - ALMOST! That will be a great blackmail picture some day!!hahahahaha

Kristen Wilde said...

Awesome! Really, I am in awe!

Becca said...

Beautiful dress - and love the model!! My mom just sent me her pleated for smoking but I didn't foresee any time to experiment in the near future so I loaned it to my mother-in-law. You truly amaze me! Beautiful work!

Bloom Where You Are Planted said...

One word -- AMAZING!!! :)

You've really got a beautiful talent going on! Good for you! I'm once again impressed with you!

I wanted to let you know that I wish you could have been here and spent the afternoon with me today! I was going through ALL my old childhood through high school keepsakes as we are trying to clear out our loft closet to make room for an all new kids playroom.

Anyway, I came across oh, perhaps 30 or so letters that you had written...they really were masterpieces! Each one was so unique and VERY creative! Over and over again I chuckled as I read your cute stories and colorful (literally with chalk and colored pens) descriptions of your day or certain event.

One was about you walking into CVGC and discovering that Dawn was actually ON the bars! You asked her to do a kip and she DID! Then Day got the low beam and started doing a few tricks and you and some of the other girls asked her to go to the high beam and she was too scared!! You quoted her, "a beam is really just a beam"! :) Too cute!

Liz said...

Very cute! Love the ummm model!

You are super motivated to learn how to do that!!

Jennifer M said...

Wow!! Very cute dress. You are such a talented "seam-artist" (seamstress feels too outdated a word) I'm not brave enough to venture past the straight and narrows of quilting...good for you!!

Michelle said...

Oh my goodness! You have got to be kidding me - you are amazing! How long did that take you?

Becky said...

You are amazing! I would so love to learn how to smock. . . have you ever seen the prices for a smocked dress?? RIDICULOUS!! I have a book on how to smock, but I'm much more a hands on person and haven't had much luck translating book speak into hand speak. Too bad (for me) you don't live upstairs anymore. . . I'd totally be begging for a lesson in person. :)

alaskanwilde said...

Along with Keren I would like a copy of the un-edited photo.