One Down Two to Go!
Gordon was able to convince me it was time for baby/mama torture (read - sleep training). He was right of course, it's just hard to know you're going to let your little one cry it out. So, the night after mom left, little Emilee was not fed when she woke up for her 11 o'clock feeding. She cried for maybe 45 minutes, with comforting every 10 or so.
I bailed after 15 minutes and curled up in the fetal position in the bonus room, fighting the "you're not taking care of your hungry little helpless child" demons. I hate crying it out. But, after 45 minutes, back to sleep she was.
And guess what. Last night - only about 1 minute of whining, and then nothing. No feedings until 2. It is a marvelous thing to get 4 + hours of sleep at a time! We'll try to cut out another feeding here in a week or so, once we've got this one good and gone! Thanks Gordon!
Random Acts of Kindness
On Wednesday I was downstairs picking up and starting to ready dinner. I heard Aidan running like mad upstairs. Thud. . . thud. . .thud. . .thud. Back and forth from the bonus room but I didn't know what he was up to.
After about 15 minutes of this, he came downstairs to get me and led me upstairs with my eyes closed. Then, he proudly popped open the bonus room door to reveal a completely cleaned up room. I was so happy I dropped to my knees for a hug and a kiss and then immediately said, "Let's go make a cake!!!" He was already feeling pretty great from his service project, and this was just the icing he needed to make it a truly great thing. We went straight downstairs and I let him make the cake. We talked about how great it feels to do something completely out of love for someone else, and how it makes BOTH people happy.
Yesterday I found my desk completely straightened up. Another wonderful surprise. He asked if we could make another cake. I said no of course (and then we had the "we'll get chubby if we eat cake every day" talk), and we played a rousing game of UNO instead.
Gordon told me last night that Aidan told him "I'm going to clean up one thing every day without being asked. It makes mom so happy." Yes it does little man! This has been a wonderful development after a couple of weeks of a VERY grumpy Aidan who is SO ready to start kindergarten!
Final Thoughts for Today
I have pre-race jitters.
The end.
5 comments:
Thanks for all of the little insights into your life. Good luck at the race!
i was thinking about your race yesterday! good luck! just have fun with it!
Good for you on the sleep training - with 3 kids, I have never been able to it yet. Maybe someday I will get 4 hrs of sleep in a row :)
I HATE having to let them cry - but life is so much nicer and I am always SOOOOO much happier afterwards - sleep for moms is a MUST! Good luck with that and good luck with your race!!!!!!!
YAY for you!! It's SO hard but SO worth it!! :) Keep up the great job!! :)
Post a Comment