Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A Dinnertime Success!

I mentioned a while back when I talked about breakfast that we had also tried a new approach to dinner, and I think it's finally fair to say, after 3 weeks, that we have a success on our hands! Our kids are eating more, complaining less, and behaving better (probably due to the fact that they actually have food in their tummies!)

I think I mentioned before that things were getting ridiculous. Complaints at every meal. "I don't like this" at every turn, unwilling to try things, being sent to their rooms hungry for getting too obnoxious about it. . . the list goes on and on. So what was it that worked for us?

Appetizers! Every night before dinner, we have our appetizers. I started with the "yuckier" veggies, slices of tomatoes, green peppers raw, things they don't like. But, we didn't put any other food on the table, only the appetizers. No more food would be served until they were all GONE and everyone had tried at least one of everything. And, amazingly enough, they started to eat them. Reluctantly at first, but now, they just know it's the drill. We have cucumber slices, carrots, pears, peas, bananas, whatever we have in the house that is fresh. I put out some salad dressings for dipping, which they previously turned up their noses at, but have discovered actually taste good! And the most amazing thing has happened! Not only are they eating their veggies without complaint now, but they are eating so much more dinner! (and lunch, and breakfast!) For the first time EVER we are running out of food at our meals, and I feel like I need to start fixing a little bit more. It is heaven. Especially because they seem happier! So Hurray for appetizers! My kids eat their veggies!!!

6 comments:

Becky said...

You are brilliant! I can't wait to try it at our house. . . what will it be tonight?? Thanks for the idea!

Liz said...

Interesting. I'm glad you found something that works!

I think that might backfire at my house though. If we have fruit on the table that will be devoured and nothing else will get eaten. Not that I'm complaining about fruit consumption. :) We have fairly good vegetable eaters at our house though.

Terry said...

Great. When we're there at Christmas, don't forget the little miniature egg rolls, cocktail wienies, and the all time favorite - - - pizza rolls ! ! !

Jennifer M said...

You are so creative. I'm glad you've found things that work for you guys. I like the appetizer idea. I may have to use it for meats though. Fruits and veggies aren't the problem, my little ones aren't real big on meats.

Koch Clan said...

Wow, that is amazing. I don't even like raw green peppers. I will have to try this!

jrteacherlady said...

You go GIRL!!! I am beyond impressed:) You have to be so organized, I can't even imagine pulling something like that off:)