Monday, April 21, 2014

Surgery - warning, yucky picture!!!

Well, he did it.  Gordon and I decided about two weeks ago that surgery was a good idea.  We felt good about it and his doctor was able to get him in last Thursday.  Surgery went perfectly and his doctor said that the "sizable chunk" that came off his disc was definitely not going to go away on its on any time soon.  After seeing it myself (keep scrolling!) I would have to agree.  Waking up was difficult for Gordon, and he had quite a bit of nausea after the surgery, but after being fully loaded with anti nausea drugs, and about 4 bags of fluids, it finally started to pass.  5-6 hours after surgery he was ready to go home and had a cheeseburger on the way.


Picture with blood coming. . .  scroll quickly if you don't want to see it!


last warning!!!











This is the herniation they took off the disc that was pushing on his spine.  The nurses thought we were pretty gross for wanting to see it.  And then, they were worried we were going to want to take it home.  We assured them we did NOT!  But, I must admit I was interested to see what it was that was causing so much pain all this time.  I wanted to wish it a good riddance and farewell!

Here he is enjoying the smoothie I brought him.  We were glad he was finally pink again and not green!
So far, the nerve pain in his leg has basically completely left him.  Hallelujah!  He has new pain of course, from the surgery it'self, and the incision on his back.  But overall, things are going well.  We'll keep praying for a speedy recovery and are so thankful for modern medicine!

No comments: