Saturday, April 3, 2010

Easter Eggs

65 children
+
1100 Easter eggs
+
100 cupcakes
+
a little rain
+
a lot of mud
=
Easter Egg Hunt 2010
This year we borrowed a bull horn from a friend, which was a good move. It made moving the crowd very easy! Even the kids perked up and listened. Above, we are calling out instructions to head over to the park. . .
And here (below) are all the kids lined up and quivering with eggticipation. Can you see me there in front of everyone, trying my best to give instructions over the bull horn while Chandler constantly pulled on my coat and exclaimed "Look, another one!" while pointing to eggs. It was a bit distracting, but I got through it.
As always, we released the little ones first. They need a head start before. . .
the Mayhem!
This year we added a little game with a nest in the trees or bushes for each child. They had to find the nest with their name on it, and that kept them busy a bit longer.
Here is one of the nests. I made them from brown paper lunch sacks and they were adorable. I had this vision of them sitting in the trees with the ribbons and name tags swinging in the breeze, but the rain prompted me to put the nests in ziplocks, which turned out to be a good thing, cause it was WET!
And it didn't matter one bit. The children so enjoyed hunting for their special nest, and I think everyone but one child found theirs. The cupcakes were devoured (darn it we forgot to take a picture, they were so cute!) and everyone had a great time. I love this tradition!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

You are so much better than me - I postpone when it is bad weather! Our hunt is going to be in 2 weeks because it was in the 30s and raining/snowing on the day of our hunt. Glad yours turned out so well. Love the nest idea!

Becca said...

Your nests are so cute! Great idea for a large egg hunt - you guys are awesome!

Liz said...

Those nests are super cute! How did you find the time to do all this and keep your house all sparkly??

I was thinking about how fun it would be to have a big hunt yesterday, when it was just my kids hunting. Maybe when we get our "own" house, it will have a nice big yard for a hunt like that.

Nancy and Carrie said...

You are AMAZING!